Thinking about renting out your spare room for additional income?
This guide will help you with the process of renting out your HDB flat in the open market in a step by step guide to ensure everything is in done correctly.
Check your eligibility for Renting out your HDB Room
- Singapore citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents (SPR) are allowed to sublet their rooms in HDB flat
- Singapore citizens who have not fulfilled the MOP (5-year minimum occupation period) are allowed to sublet rooms but not the entire flat
- Singapore Permanent Residents (SPR) are allowed sublet rooms but not the entire flat, even after fulfilling the MOP
- Only bedrooms from HDB flats that are 3-room or larger can be rented out.
Whether you are renting your whole flat or the bedrooms, only 6 occupants – all tenants, your family and yourself included – are allowed to reside in the flat.
See the table below for a useful summary of the number of rentable bedrooms and occupants (counting both tenants AND landlords) allowed for different flat sizes:
Flat owners are required to seek HDB’s approval before renting out their bedroom(s). Applications to rent out bedrooms may be submitted online via HDB’s e-services. The outcome of the application will be made known immediately. An administrative fee is payable with each application, at $10 per bedroom.
Market Room at desired rental price
Place adverts on across different platforms such as Newspaper, Facebook, Property portals etc.
Alternatively, you may simply consult a property agent to handle all aspects of the rental procedures.
Check Tenant’s Eligibility
Tenants must be any of the following
- Singapore citizens
- Singapore Permanent Residents
- Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore who hold passes with a validity period of at least 6 months from the date of your subletting application
- Employment Passes
- S Passes
- Work Permits
- Work Permit holders from the construction, marine and process sectors must be Malaysians
- Student Passes
- Dependent Passes
- Long-term Social Visit Passes
The following table is the market rate for room rental in Singapore*:
|HDB Estates||Average Rental Asking|
|Ang Mo Kio||600 – 800|
|Bukit Panjang||600 – 800|
|Choa Chu Kang||500-700|
|Clementi||600 – 800|
|Geylang||600 – 800|
|Jurong East||600 – 800|
|Kallang/Whampoa||600 – 800|
|Lim Chu Kang||500-700|
|Serangoon||600 – 800|
|Tampines||600 – 800|
|Toa Payoh||600 – 800|
|Woodlands||500 – 700|
*Do note that this is an approximation and is adjustable depending to market conditions
Rental Price for bedrooms varies depending on factors such as:
- Proximity to Amenities (e.g MRT, Malls, Schools etc.)
- The condition of the unit (Furnished and Unfurnished)
- Air-conditioned or Fan Only
- Wifi or No Wifi
- No. of occupants per room
- Master Bedroom or Common Bedroom
Here are examples of some HDB Bedrooms I have rented out not too long ago:
Use a Standard Tenancy Agreement for Room Rental
A written rental contract is used for both landlord and tenant to come to a mutual agreement on the terms of the lease. It is important for certain terms to spell out explicitly such as:
- Lease Start/End date
- Monthly Rent (e.g. payable on 1st of every month)
- Security Deposit Amount
- Furniture and Fixtures & Fittings
- Responsibilities’ of Landlord
- Responsibilities’ of Tenant
- Terms and Conditions
You may use a template version of the Room Rental Agreement
Notify and Obtain approval from HDB
If renting out your room, prior approval from HDB is required. You may apply online using the following link:
You must also notify HDB of tenancy terminations, subsequent renewals, and changes to your tenants’ particulars within 7 days of these changes.
Do take note
Minimum renting out period:
6 months per application. Renting out on a short-term basis is not allowed.
Maximum renting out period:
3 years per application. However, if one or more of the tenants is a non-Malaysian NC, the maximum renting out period is 1.5 years.
Payments of Stamp duty:
The tenant is required to pay stamp duty to IRAS to have the TA stamped within 14 days of signing it if it was signed in Singapore
Inspection and handover:
Check each item on the inventory list with the tenant on or a few days before the date of commencement of the list
Eugene Koh +6590405508